Subheader

Just a girl from Western Massachusetts who decided to go live on the other side of the planet for awhile.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Done With Classes

HUNTER BUILDING

Photobucket
INSIDE THE LAW LIBRARY (I told you it was cool)

Well that's that. I'm done with class in New Zealand. So now I'm on summer vacation? .. or is it winter break? Whatever it is, I'm not officially on it until I finish one more final, hand in a paper, and hand in my portfolio. Class is done, though. I reminded myself that as I sweated my way up to campus for the last time today. I thought I'd get used to that walk. I thought when the weather cooled down it wouldn't be as rough. I showed up in class huffing and puffing and sweating pretty much every day of the semester, though. And it wasn't just me, either, and it wasn't just class. Wellington is so hilly it is pretty common to find anyone in that state, anywhere you find them.

Well of course my last day of creative writing class was sad. The girl who I would consider to be the best writer in the class presented today, and of course her pieces were great. A publisher came in to talk to us, too. It was helpful and inspiring.

As I sat in class and listened to the Kiwis read their pieces and give their critiques, I really thought about how I'm going to miss the accent here. It's more than the accent, too, it's the language. They use old phrases I love. While my friends and I back home are using some weird modern slang derived from skaters and rappers, kiwis actually sound intelligent with their "keens" and "heaps" and "cheers, ay." I could pretend I adopted the slang, but it just doesn't sound right with an American accent. I love when I walk up to the coffee counter and they ask me "what are you afta?" or when someone says they were "gutted" that they missed a party. They "can't be bothered," they eat their "lollies" and "smash it up." I've been told that Newtown is "a bit shit" and I've unfortunately had my "arse" grabbed while out at a club. Not so sweet as.

* * *

I went to a "Farewell Party" for study abroad students that the University held. It was pretty much equivalent to the "Welcome Party" they threw us when we got here. Free food and booze. The only difference was when we first arrived in New Zealand they handed out packets and pamphlets saying "Welcome!" on the covers, and now I have a pile of papers on my desk that say "Farewell" instead. It is quite painful. Haere ra. I didn't even know the Maori word for farewell until now :(

Only two more weeks. I can't believe it.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment