Subheader

Just a girl from Western Massachusetts who decided to go live on the other side of the planet for awhile.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Sketchy in Sydney

Photobucket
HOTEL MIRROR PIC

I am in a sweet as ballin' hotel in Sydney, Australia. Loving life.

Well now I'm loving life. I wasn't loving life earlier today when I had to leave Wellington. Let's just say: the cab driver who brought me to the airport offered me a tissue.

My hotel!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
MY VIEW
All that and $50 worth of food: free :)
Shout out to the ash cloud.
* * *

So I just got back from wandering the sketchy ghetto-y streets of Sydney. I mean, Sydney isn't sketchy and ghetto-y, but no matter what city you're in, you don't wanna be wandering the streets outside of your hotel-near-the-airport at night by yourself, I don't think.

I was trying to meet up with Nick but I failed. I didn't get to the hotel until around 7:45, and I was supposed to meet him at the Opera House at 8. I was starving though and couldn't get through to him on the phone or on facebook, probably because he was already there waiting for me. I got settled in a little bit, ate something, and asked the front desk how to get to the Opera House. The directions seemed easy enough. I figured even if Nick had given up on me since I was so late, at least I'd still get to see some of Sydney. So I ventured out of the safe and warm hotel and into the streets. On a scale from 1 to sketchy, it was not a 1. I walked down this main drag for so long and never found the street I was supposed to turn off onto. Finally I decided I gave it enough effort, was too sketched out to continue, and turned around. Like two minutes later I saw the train go by in distance. So I changed my mind and didn't want to give up yet. I walked in the direction of the train, through a park. When the path I was on stopped being well lit, that's when I really gave up for good. The park was pretty well lit though so I found a bench by the water and sat on it for about two minutes trying to "enjoy" myself, but I was just wicked jumpy and scared.

Photobucket

On the walk back I saw a huge wild pelican swimming under a bridge I was crossing. GIGANTIC AUSTRALIAN PELICAN!

Here are some pictures of my Australian adventures. lol.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm bummed I didn't get to meet up with Nick but at least I gave it an honest effort.
Off to L.A. in the morning. Longest flight ever. I still can't believe this is all happening right now.

Now I will cry myself to sleep that I'm not in New Zealand anymore :(

No comments:

Post a Comment